Our friendly and active East Dorset Group was established early in 1977 with just nine members. Growing over the years, at one point numbering 80, we have now settled back to around 30 members.
- Our meetings are open to all – members and non-members of the SDFHS
- We meet on the third Monday of each month.
- We start our meetings at 7.30pm with tea or coffee and biscuits, while Committee members circulate and welcome new visitors
- This is followed by a speaker for about an hour followed by questions and we try to obtain two or three home grown speakers a year.
- We display a Group Notice Board keeping members up to date with activities of the Society and the Group and identifying Group personalities.
- We meet in the Hilda Coles Learning Centre off Crown Mead, Wimborne (Entrance by the Library).
- We always try to add a Christmas party or social element to our December Meeting.
- We are very keen to encourage new members to research their family history and recently held an introductory workshop which was well attended.
WW2 AFRICAN AMERICAN GIs IN DORSET Part 2 by John Stockley
I WISH I COULD GO BACK IN TIME by Kirsty Gray
MY MOST WANTED ANCESTOR In House Meeting
COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVES ARCHIVES by Chris Brown
40 LETTERS TO A GREAT GRANDCHILD by Christopher Jary
Send us a message using the form below. Please use the form for any queries or comments about the programme.
While Group members have a good deal of local knowledge, they are not usually in a position to carry out documentary research. If you need research done, please see “How We Can Help.”